Bird of prey photography experience in stunning Leicestershire countryside.
ENJOY A day photographing a large variety of stunning birds of prey at location that is NOT open to the general public. You will get the chance to photograph the birds both perched and flying in lovely natural countryside. This day is strictly limited to eight people to ensure all those taking part have a great opportunity to take some superb photos.
You will be guided in the photography by John Daniels, who, for over 25 years has worked as a commercial photographer with a passion and reputation for wildlife and animal work. His photographs have been published worldwide and his passion for wildlife, particularly birds has taken him all over the world.
Dates currently available are:
Friday 29th March 2019, 10am to 4pm (full)
Friday 26th April 2019
Cost £149 per participant (maximum attending is eight)
About the day
The collection of birds of prey you will photograph includes Redtailed Buzzards, Bengal Eagle Owl, Harris hawk, Eurasian Eagle Owl, African Spotted Eagle Owl, Barn Owl, Peregrine Falcon, Tawny Eagle, Great Grey Owl, Brown Wood Owl and Burrowing Owl.
Which specific species will be photographed on the day will depend on weather conditions and the temperament of an individual bird to conditions. For this reason we have to remain flexible and in all circumstances the welfare of the birds come first.
All the birds are in superb condition and you'll be able to learn a lot about them all from our experienced falconer . You will, of course, receive lots of camera instruction and creative help from John during the day.
A great deal of care will be taken to ensure the birds and the environment they are in look as natural as possible. The following are my recommendations for equipment but for further advice please email me using the contact form:
- Digital SLR, Compact System Camera or Bridge camera with manual control.
- A lens that allows you to stand back from the birds and still fill the frame is needed so a minimum focal length of 200mm is best, although you may get the chance for some wider shots too.
- Tripods are NOT allowed when working in a group and are generally unnecessary anyway. You may, however, use a monopod with your long lens.
- A beanbag can prove handy for low level shots but is not an essential item.
- Please wear suitable clothes. Expect to get a bit muddy or even damp so over trousers and a jacket are useful.
- You will not be walking far but a pair of boots is recommended as the grass may be damp.
The welfare of the birds is always our highest priority and it is the decision of the handler as to whether the bird is happy to pose! In the unlikely event of severe weather that prevents the day from happening you will of course receive a refund.
The day starts at 10am and finishes at 4pm. Tea and coffee will be available but lunch is not included so please bring a packed lunch and we will have a break in the day for you to eat this.
The venue for the course is a rural location near Market Harborough, Leicestershire. There is plenty of parking at the site. Details on how to find it will be provided.